Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Recipe #1-Panera's Broccoli and Cheese Soup

Being from Wisconsin it wasn't really "cold" to me until it was in the 30's and 40's. Then I moved to the South and was shocked when at 55 degrees people were out wearing winter coats, ear warmers, and gloves. I thought this was ridiculous! Fast forward one year to today when it is 55 degrees here in South Carolina and I'm freezing! Bring on my winter coat, scarf and mittens (which on principle I wouldn't actually put on, but I wanted to!)! That being said, I decided to try to make homemade soup for my first recipe of my 100 new recipe goal. Thanks to Pinterest I found this recipe and it looked so good. It originally can be found here:

Copy Cat Panera Bread Broccoli Cheese Soup


Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 4
Ingredients
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 cups half-and-half ( or skim milk)
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1/2 pound fresh broccoli ( florets only)
  • 1 cup carrots, julienne
  • 1/4 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 8 ounces grated cheddar cheese
Instructions
  1. Saute onions in a little butter in a small pan – set aside.
  2. In a large stockpot melt butter. Add flour and mix for 3 minutes.
  3. Slowly add half- half – mixing the entire time.
  4. Slowly add chicken stock- mixing the entire time.
  5. Let simmer on low for 20 minutes.
  6. Add broccoli, carrots; onions and cook on low for 25 minutes.
  7. Season with salt, pepper; nutmeg.
  8. Place soup in a blender or use an immersion blender and puree.
  9. Heat soup over low heat and add cheese and mix till melted.
  10. Serve ( hopefully in a bread bowl) and Enjoy

0 comments:

Post a Comment